Monday, March 7, 2011

Bird Collage

While having some fun doing my Cuttlebug demo at Stamp Fever last Saturday, one of the techniques we tried was letterpress inking with embossing. This involves inking the embossing folder then running the paper through the machine. Depending on which side of the folder you ink you get a different look. For this card I inked the flat side so the ink covers the non embossed parts of the paper.

For the blue panel, I first stamped the white cardstock with Friend Definition using Stormy Sky Distress ink. Then I inked the embossing folder on the flat side with the same ink, placed the stamped cardstock in the folder with the stamped side toward the ink, then ran it through the machine. The design stays white and the rest is inked with blue. For the yellow panel I started with a scrap of yellow patterned paper and inked the folder with Wild Honey Distress ink.
For the main image I stamped Hero Arts Bird Collage K5503 with black Archival ink on vintage hymnbook paper. I colored the flowers and leaves with American Crafts markers and did some white highlights. On the kraft card base I stamped HA Envelope Pattern in black and Fabulous Flourish in brown. Once it was all assembled I embellished with Hero Hues gems, ribbon and Tim Holtz tissue tape.

At the demo we also experimented with embossing envelopes so I decorated an envelope to match this card.

This would definitely be more suitable for a hand delivered card or to enclose in a larger mailing envelope.
I'll be entering this in the Hero Arts challenge for this month. The challenge themes are birthdays, layered stamping and decorated envelopes.

~ Ephesians 6:10-11 ~
Be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. 
Put on the whole armor of God, 
that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
blessings,
nancy

13 comments:

  1. Awesome creations, Nancy! I often find my embossing folders are SO neglected! Thanks for the inspiration! Love your bird cage card as it is full of wonderful details!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Nancy! Wish I could have taken this class! Do all inks work or only certain kinds?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! A lot of work and love went into your beautiful card! Thanks for reminding me of what we can do with an embossing folder! And your envelope, well, that is a winner in my books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous Nancy. I so wish I could join one of your classes one day... Like Virginia... I often neglect my embossing folders.... Love the embossed envelope.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely, Nancy!! Those colors work GREAT together!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love your collage creation Nancy - great layering! It'll be a perfect entry for the HA challenge ;)
    Hugs, Ruth S

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great colors Nancy, I just love how you did the backgrounds....I love my embossing folders.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to try that embossing folder technique! Great effect! Love your collage. I learn so much on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW!! Super beautiful! Love the embossed texture on the background!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely card Nancy! I love blue and yellow/orange as a color combination.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This card is stunning!. Your color choices are beautiful.Definitely going to try this technique.
    Thanks for sharing.

    Dorothy C.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous collage so many pretty details blended into one beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, I love hearing from you!