Thursday, November 18, 2010

Stamping Secret Revealed....

Blessings and big thanks to all of you for your wonderful response and excellent guesses. I had so much fun reading all of your responses....there were some very creative ideas, some came really close.  But the truth is that I'm really a lazy stamp crafter and I like to keep things simple with a minimum of tools and steps.

So without further time wasting the secret is.........white tissue paper! When you stamp it with black ink the image shows through on the reverse. You simply stamp the image on one side, then turn the paper over, and stamp it again. A couple of you guessed that I used thin paper but then you added tracing the image with a pen. With the tissue paper there is no need to trace, the image is perfect right through the paper. The white tissue paper becomes almost translucent when it is glued down. 

The closest guess came from Sarah in Belgium. She guessed that I used thin paper, but she added that the ink would bleed through and that is the secret. Congrats to Sarah, please send me a Flickrmail with your address so I can get your prize sent out right away.

Here's a short tutorial with some handy tips for making a mirror image with tissue paper.
Supplies you will need:

Uncoated white tissue paper (the cheap stuff)
Black Dye Ink (I used Memento)
PVA glue- watered down a bit
Large, soft bristled paintbrush
Stamp positioner
Patterned Paper

Here's the card I made for the tutorial.....

Here we go.....Position and stamp the first image. Use light pressure when stamping. Carefully lift stamp without moving the tissue paper.
Move the tissue paper and clean the work surface of the ink that bled through, or.....
...use copy paper to soak up the excess ink.
Flip the tissue, reposition and stamp the second image. You can see how clearly the first image shows on the reverse.
A couple of handy tips: This is a rejected image. I used too much pressure when stamping and got a really heavy line. This one is also messy from stray ink.  Be careful moving the stamped tissue paper as it doesn't take much for any leftover ink to show on the tissue. It's best to let the ink dry before handling the paper and make sure there is no ink left on the surface.

Stamp the reindeer body on patterned paper (I used Snow Day from Crate Paper) and cut out.
Stamp the reindeer body a second time on a scrap of tissue paper. Trim close.
 Using light strokes and a brush saturated with the watered down glue, glue the reverse reindeer tissue to the pp scrap. Once down lightly brush any areas that pop up....then let it dry. If you work it too much it may tear.
Set aside to dry.
For the larger image it's easier to add the glue to the background paper then apply the tissue to it. Make sure to get the paper good and wet with the glue.
Add the stamped tissue to the prepared background (you only get one shot at this so line it up before you set it down). Gently smooth the tissue, there will be some wrinkling that adds to the texture and character, so try not to overwork the tissue. Just make sure that all the tissue is glued down. Set aside to dry.
Cut out the reindeer on the patterned paper, I added a spritz of Perfect Pearls to add some sparkle.
Trim the background once it dries.....then you can paper piece your reindeer and design your fabulous card!
Here's my messy work area as I work to assemble my card and get the accessories and embellishes just right.
And here's another look at the final result....
I hope you enjoyed the tutorial and that you will try this technique. Be sure to leave a comment and let me know what you think. Please include a link to your Mirror Image Stamped creations. Thanks!

Colossians 3:16-17 ~ "Let the message about Christ, in all it's richness, fill your lives. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom He gives. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts. And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father. "
blessings,
nancy

55 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness! You are a genius, Nancy! Thanks for sharing such a great tutorial and congrats to Sarah! Must give this a try.....
    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome technique! I will definitely give this a try; such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely BRILLIANT, Nancy! So glad you shared your secret with us! Another beautiful card, BTW! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant! Love this tutorial and your card is ADORABLE Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My jaw droppped!AMAZING tutorial and technique! I'm, so thankful to know you....(I'm not worthty, I'm not worthy...--LOL)!! Blessing to you, Nancy! Not only you are uber talented, you are so generous in sharing your talent/secrets/stamp :) Congrats to Sarah B.!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy, I'd never have guessed! What a brilliant technique! Thanks for the great tutorial! Your card is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant Nancy! Thank you for the tutorial :) Another cute card!
    Jenifer Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty nifty, my dear! Can't wait to try this! Something tells me it will take a bit of practice working with that glue, but it is SO worth it! Wonderful tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nancy, Wow!! This card is wonderful. Thanks for sharing this great tutorial. I will have to try this technique when I return from vacation. You take care and Have a Blessed Thanksgiving. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's really brilliant, Nancy! Thanks for sharing your great tutorial (I'll go to bed less stupid!) and another gorgeous creation! COngrats to Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW!!!!! Amazing tutorial! Thank you so much for this tutorial. You are really creative!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome tutorial Nancy!!! Thanks so much for sharing your talent with us!!
    Hugs,
    TRace

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nancy, what a fabulous technique this is! So very cool! Love the tutorial and your card! Just adorable! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for your tutorial!!! Love both of your deer cards. You have enable me to get this cute deer stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanks for the neat trick!!! Can't wait to try it, Nancy!! cute card!

    ReplyDelete
  16. brilliant! will need to try this on objects i want facing the opposite way! thanks for the step-by-steps!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the tutorial. It was fabulous as was your idea!!! You were so clever and we were all stumped!!! I love the card!

    ReplyDelete
  18. what a great tutorial! would use it except................... i hate the stamp positioner, lol! thanks again for your lovely gift (sent you an email too).. love it, love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Too clever.... :o) Congratulations Sarah!

    Thank you Nancy for a fantastic technique.

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow Nancy. Thanks for the tutorial.. I would never have guess that!!! I have now added this post to my bookmarked techniques - so I will remember it .... Way to go...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nancy you thought of everything! The glue? I never would have thought of that! Love this technique and such a pretty card!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great technique and cheap as well! Should give it a try someday. Thanks for sharing this technique!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you so much for the picture walk on how you did this, this is way more involved than using the thin plastic but your images came out way nicer too! Gorgeous card :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. LOVE LOVE this!!! Thanks for all the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are one of a creative lady, Nancy! Wonderful job! Thanks for sharing your secret recipe with us!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Absolutely genious! Love the soft feel the tissue paper gives the card! And thanks agian for my Win!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ah ha! Great idea and I can't believe how good it looks on the backside--so clear! tfs!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow that takes a lot of work, but such an awesome technique:-) thanks for sharing! have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. excellent technique. pure brilliance. definitely need to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. LOVE this trick! So simple and such magnificent results! You are the queen of stamping, my friend! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Just found a link to this on Jennifer McGuires blog. What an amazing way to do this! I will definatly have to try this. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Such a fabulous technique! Thanks for teaching all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I can't wait to try this. Michelle Zindorf stamps on the sheet that comes with the repositioner and then applies the inked side down on the paper. This makes a great shadow effect. This looks like it comes out perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  34. thank you for shareing. i will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  35. The verse is especially meaningful to me this Thanksgiving. Thank you for printing it out.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow Nancy, fab idea. Thanks for sharing. Really neat - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow what a great idea! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow.... Beautiful! Thanks for the great tutorial. I want to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh you are super clever Nancy AND super generous.
    Many thanks for sharing. Mwah

    Mary Mac

    ReplyDelete
  40. wow! you are so clever, Nancy! LOVE how you did this. thank you so much for the tutorial! i'll have to try this! i adore your beautiful card, too!

    ReplyDelete
  41. woow this is very clever tips Nancy..love love your card and this tutorial really help me...Lovely card Nancy...the one who get this card must be smile and happy...hugs, Monika

    ReplyDelete
  42. This is awesome! Thanks so much for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Lovely sharp post. Never thought that it was this easy. Extolment to you!.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I just added your feed to my favorites. I really enjoy reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thank you for the detailed tutorial. You have a wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  46. This is the first time I comment on your site, but I've been reading it for about a few weeks. I admire the passion with which you tell your stories and dream that someday I can do the same. Love

    ReplyDelete
  47. Thanks for sharing, Nancy! I posted my pair of pooches tonight, and linked up to your tut! :)

    ReplyDelete
  48. Such a beautiful card, and fun and clever technique, Nancy! Thank you so much for the time and effort you put in the tutorial. I've always wondered if it were possible to have a mirror image of some stamps. And now it surely is, because of you :) So thank you!!

    Hope you're enjoying your week!

    ReplyDelete
  49. LOVE this idea! It's so clever! Thanks for the detailed pictures and explanation. I have always wondered how you could have a mirror image of some stamps and now I know how to do it! Awesome - thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Wow Nancy what a great technique. Thanks for sharing it & I love the card you have created xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  51. CUTE! Thanks for sharing this technique and some great tips to help us along!
    {hugs}
    Indy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, I love hearing from you!