Saturday, May 7, 2011

Bright and Happy for Mother's Day

It's a really gloomy May day in So Cal today. I found myself all alone when the hubs had to head to San Diego to finish some cabinets and #2 son went to visit buddies at Camp Pendleton.....so you know what that means; CARDS! As always I waited until the last minute to make my Mother's Day cards. I think I'll enter the challenge at CAS-ual Fridays where the theme is Text.

Here's the first one.........



.......bright and bold to counteract the gloominess outside.
I started with a piece of Hero Hues Layering paper in Poppy that I found in my scrap box. I stamped the Flower Text in Poppy Chalk ink and left it sit there for a bit while I watched some tennis. I love watching tennis on TV and got a Sports Channel package for my U-Verse just so I could have Tennis Channel.

Anyhoo, after I watched Nadal beat Federer I came back to the plain, monochromatic beginnings of this card project. My first thought was to do some paper piecing but just didn't have the ambition for all that cutting. Then I noticed the Copics and thought "Why not". I had fun with this experiment not knowing how the markers would work with the colored cardstock and chalk ink. I loved the effect I got and kept adding more bright bold color. Then I finished it off with a Micron Pigma ultra fine point black pen. The Hero Arts sentiment is stamped on textured vellum and tied on with thin jute string.
I card down....3 more to go....

~ Proverbs 31: 28-31 ~
Her children stand and bless her.
Her husband praises her:
"There are many virtuous and capable women in the world,
but you surpass them all!"
Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last;
but a woman who fears the Lord will be greatly praised.
Reward her for all she has done.
Let her deeds publicly declare her praise.

Happy Mother's Day
blessings,
nancy

15 comments:

  1. Super fun card and the texty background looks great behind those blooms!! Glad you got texty with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous card! Bright and bold and I love the added sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to say sunshine and cheer was what I thought of when I saw this card and that is just what you said about chasing the gloom away! Happy Mother's Day! I hope it is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you describe how this card came together. It really is bright and beautiful! I must admit, I'm kind of happy to hear that it's a bit gloomy there in California because we've had three beautiful, warm, spring days in a row here! We soooo deserve it too! I've said it before but it's worth repeating. . . .have a wonderful Mother's Day, my friend! Sending lots of love and hugs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful work!!
    Thanks for playing at CAS!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. such a fun card Nancy. Love the way the flowers turned out. Happy Mother's day to you to my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You rock with this design and copics, Nancy! Like you, my family and I love watching tennis!! We almost played tennis today...anyhow hope you have a GREAT Mother's Day! Blessings to you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bright and happy, indeed! I love the text background and the hand drawn border adds to the whimsical feel of the image! A very Happy Mother's Day to you, dear Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You created your own sunshine Nancy!
    Beautiful, so cheery!
    It is not Mother's day here in France, but it is in other places of Europe.
    Wishing you a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Mother´s day Nancy - your card is so beautiful. Love the colors ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this stamp, beautiful Mom's day card! Hope you are able to finish all your cards in time. Have a wonderful day with family!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the stamp image you used with your text background and the colors really make the stamp images pop. Great design :) Thanks for playing this week at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really beautiful colors and a great way to incorporate text for the CAS-ual Fridays challenge....so happy you could play along with our very first challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So pretty and elegant. Sounds like you had a great day - I love it when I have the whole house to myself. Thanks so much for playing with us at CAS-ual Fridays Challenge!! Hope you'll share more of your beautiful work with us again!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a bright and beautiful card. That texty BG makes it top notch. So glad you joined us for CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, I love hearing from you!