Friday, June 18, 2010

A soccer mom plays at the Play Date Cafe!

I'm playing at the Play Date Cafe then it's back to watching World Cup soccer. Yep, I'm a soccer fan!
Here's my entry for challenge #34....Black, white and a splash of blue!
Stamps- All Hero Arts:Clear set Antique Engravings, Flowing Flowers and Leaves Cling, Friend Definition Cling.
Ink- Memento Tuxedo Black, Distress Black Soot.
Copic markers- B0000, B21, B24, B26
Other supplies- Flexi-Lace hem tape white, used to make the flowers and the border. Zva black crystals. Perfect Pearls and water in Mini Mister misted on butterfly and hummingbird.
So yes I have been a soccer mom for almost 20 years. There are very few of us this old in captivity but due to the fact that Andy still plays on a few teams at the age of 27 I still qualify. And more than just being the mom on the sidelines bringing oranges for halftime I was involved in many areas. I earned a soccer coaching license and coached a few of the teams at the school. I coordinated the referees for the local league, trained the linesmen and even filled in as a linesmen on occasion. (And yes, I understand the offside law). As a family we would set up the fields before the games. Andy and Ben both played on club teams (travel teams) so for about 10 years I don't remember being home on the weekends. Both boys played on their high school team and Andy continued playing for the local JC. 


 One of Andy's first teams.

Some pictures of my boys through their soccer playing days.....
During those years we traveled all over California for tournaments and league games. Our travel extended into Nevada and Arizona and even Hawaii for tournaments. It was great family fun and I have to say that soccer played a huge part in helping us get our boys through the teen years unscathed. They were literally too tired to get into any trouble. Sometimes the rewards were tangible...
Andy and his team mate Drew at the airport in Maui bringing home the Hawaii Cup 1999 trophy.
But the best reward was the time spent developing friendships that remain, and making wonderful memories with our boys. Thanks for walking with me down my soccer memory lane.

Thought for the Day: Rev 4:11 "You are worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honor and power; for You created all things, and by Your will they exist and were created."
 blessings to you,
nancy

28 comments:

  1. Beautiful card and those flowers are gorgeous. The butterfly pops out of the card, I love it. Tracy Evans x

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGoodness-that card is FAB! I think you nailed the splash of blue! I love the flowers and the little humming bird! Stunning!!! And look at your boys:) How cute are they? Love looking at photos--I've never been one for sports, but if my kid (whenever we have one) wants to be involved, I won't say no! I agree--friendships that are built in these games are priceless:)

    Thanks for playing along with us at the PDCC:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy - this is a real Stunner!!!! Love it heaps. Loved your scocer histry as well. I've been a rugby mum, but not quite to the same extent as you. What lucky sons to have a mum who was so supportive. As I'm not sure if I'll get on-line on Sunday... Happy Bithday!!!
    hugs Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, soccer Mom--great card! Love that splash of blue and your little flowers are gorgeous!

    And you were here in Hawaii for soccer tourneys? Awesome! Thanks for sharing great photos....

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post, Nancy! You and I have yet another thing in common: our youngest played soccer from about age 5 all the way through high school, and still plays at the age of 33! LOVE seeing your pics; they bring back such great memories - loved all the people we met through soccer. If we'd lived closer I bet our boys might have even played each other!

    I don't pay much attention anymore, but DH has been glued to the TV; every once in awhile I hear a yell. USA was cheated out of a win today, I hear :)

    Your card is lovely - wasn't this a fun challenge? Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your card is just gorgeous, Nancy! Love the butterfly and flowers, but my favorite is the sweet hummingbird! Wonderful pics of your boys.. they grow so fast, don't they? Thanks for playing along with the Play Date Cafe!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful and elegant card, Nancy! love your lace flowers!! thanks for sharing your story about being a soccer mom and for sharing those precious photos!! i enjoyed reading your post!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning use of this weeks color, wonderful images you used. Great pictures of your boys too! Thanks for playing at the PDCC.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a fun post, Nancy! Love hearing about your boys and your "soccer mom" days! I know these pictures hold wonderful memories for you!

    Love your card! The background and lace are so elegant! Adore your gorgeous flowers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, wow and wow again Nancy fantastic card! I love everything about it!

    Loved reading about and seeing the photos of you, Ben and Andy. We have World Cup fever in the house too. Ireland didn't make it due to a handball by a certain Mr Henry, so we did a sweep in the house and we had a lucky dip for all of the teams - USA is one of my teams!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a graceful card Nancy - so beautiful, feminine and elegant - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous card Nancy - beautiful lace-like layering! No soccer fans here in the home - although my own brothers are mad about it - here its tennis and I just love Wimbledon. Nice to see the photos and hear your story!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! Love how the blue butterfly just pops against the black and white. Striking!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved your post!! How wonderful to see pictures of your boys through the years. Beautiful card! Love the flowers in addition to the butterfly. Glad you found time to play in the PDDC this week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful card Nancy! Love the layered background and the pop of blue!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a gorgeous card, Nancy!! Just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This card is so pretty. Great job with the flowers. Very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow- Nancy your card is just heavenly- those white flowers are just amazing- love the Hero arts butterfly in blue too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous! The colors on this are divine! Thank you for sharing the wonderful photos - I always love to see the progression in age of our children, so fascinating - and no wonder you are such a fan of soccer!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great pictures! Love your card too, those little flowers are gorgeous! Thanks for playing along with us at the Play Date Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your card is BEYOND gorgeous, girl! I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT IT! Fun soccer pics, too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow - simply gorgeous!!! Congrats on your win!!! You & the US team did well today, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nancy....congratulations on winning The Cup of the Week over at The Play Date Cafe...your badge and instructions await you there : )

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well now, what did I tell you??? Congratulations sweet sis!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats on your win Nancy! This card is so beautiful!!! And thanks for sharing your memories and pictures, you're such a cool mom!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats! This card is just FABULOUS! AND I AGREE - YOU ARE SUCH A COOL MOM!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congrats on your win!!!!! SO happy that you were selected. Fabulous card!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations winning at PDC! Great card, and great blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, I love hearing from you!